Friday, July 29, 2005

july 4th,2005

I am the lucky dog. I was asked by my friend from Peru, to take her somewhere special for this most independent of our days. For me, it's a time to say and do whatever I want. So I was surprised when my father said he would be on a certain boat, directly under the fireworks in Provincetown. Let me tell you, unless he had spoken, I would have not even considered the venue. All those ravers, and all that noise. But this includes family, so I felt like it was hitting a home run. Myself, and brother and sister, finally left this town at later than six pm. So this means six people, because of spouses, andmy buddy. So nice to spend any time with those I love. I clued up brother John on where to park, and also that I was carrying fireworks. I wanted, just in case, that this would be memorable.The tale has become much more than the telling, since then. We all reveled in the show, the town did it right, and always does. We also left the boat, a bit pre emptorally, but the glow was still on. My brother was effulgent, so at what I thought was an appropiate moment, I lit the rocket. Big mistake. And the response was right on. People were shocked, in shock, and the mix of police in retrospect was exactly correct. I was lucky.Looked around, and knew it was a powderkeg. I corrected, head down,walked down, and back, thankful. We left, henceforth. Any idiot left in the line of fire, well, I can't speak for them.My clue was obvious, and then I could see the trigger fingers. Next year, the only excuse will not have anything to do with the date; july the 4th. Provincetown made a small mistake, in not co-ordinating the police. I have served, I could see the fear in their faces. We are all culpable, youth and connections not withstanding. I do not excuse anyone, but to me it was obvious. I got out. The tension was palpable. All anyone had to do was walk away. I have never seen the street so angry. I am reminded of''rhinoceros'http://www.culturevulture.net/Theater2/Rhinoceros.htm, that vehicle epitomizing the angry mob. Sorry guys, if you bled. You should pick your battles. This was not the venue. I can't believe you missed the thunder of the hooves.....dy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home