Monday, July 18, 2005

No No Nanette

There's a hell of a lot of pseudo scribes soon to put beak to keyboard and fall over each other's laptops about what a superb production 'NO NO Nanette' is now at the Cape Playhouse. I count myself entertained, and go, please. But make sure you have an angel like Joan Sparrow, who last minute asked me to go because her grandson was on call. My budget would have been busted for six months for this gem. And I would take the sound man out for a few beers and beg him to fix the annoying thing he calls sound. I felt like I was in the ocean, with good singing by Lucille (Rebecca Luker), and better by Nanette (Garrett Long) washing over my ears like breakers. That one is a deal breaker folks. Teach Billy (George Dvorsky) to look up while he's faking it and you have a winner. His singing more than makes up for it. The real story is the ensemble, it seemed the leads were jealous of the fun they were having. Our small theatre's down cape could take a lesson on how to use space. The excellent orchestra was on stage behind and sometimes part of the action. The simple set made perfect use of the large cast, all down front. The dancing was great, aside from the fact that these boys should do double tours, thank you. I don't know what Fred Willard was doing in this show, he had exactly one moment to show his stuff. Oh right, a pay check? Is he the draw? I don't want to call him weak, but his name should not be above anyone else's. The sound 'fx' should be invisible as well as seeming to come from the singers mouth, otherwise, trash it. Fred's microphone sideburn kills me now, and I had fun finding the others mics and black boxes, hmmm...reminded me of Dick Cheney. But these are small complaints. I have a smile on my face. Go, and keep smiling and toe tapping, forget your cares. This is the feel good show of the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home