Saturday, July 23, 2005

best war film

I've been watching war movies lately. After 'Saving private Ryan' I wanted to re-enlist or go shoot my own boy groupie shoot em up. It's patterned after Spielbergs' memory of war films, and it shows. Tom Hanks did a great job as John Wayne without the beefcake.
I think the problem is character. War truly is hell, and soldiers become devils. The human quality is survival, there is no way to portray reality in war. You survive or die, somtimes both.
The uncharacteristic mercy shown a german P.O.W. who comes back to haunt the platoon smacks disbelief, but is plausible. The cowardly behavior of 'the writer' who kills him goes a step further. He very likely would have been killed-by his own men.
'All quiet on the western front' is the barometer of all war film- there is NO glory to war!
'When it comes to dying for country, it's better not to die at all'. Is just one salient quote. And many folks might say my only regret is that I have but one life to give, etc. Send them that wish to die, and those that are left may try to get along. Most likely we'll end up fighting again. The difference between this film and 'Ryan' is slim. But for some reason, after watching this one, I am more vociferously anti-war.
This brings me to 'johnny got his gun'. I began thinking of this while watching the protagonist's teacher exhort his students in 'All quiet on the western front' to war. They all went of course, it is infectious. It's no wonder our good government made use of 9/11 to; once again into the breach. Like in Monty Python's 'the meaning of life', when the diner began vomiting the sympathetic nerves in the other patrons gullets responded in kind. So let's go to war! gets Joe Bonham's arms, legs, eyes, nose and mouth blown off. He communicates by morse code, using his head against the pillow. He wants to go on an anti war circuit, but is denied permission by his commanding officer.
I'm tired, I don't want to fight. You won, why am I still alive?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home